Thursday 26 May 2016

Product Review 3: Knee Supports/ Knee Braces

Let's get real, at some point in our lives, we all have (or had) injured our knees. It could be when we first learned to walk, or when we learned how to ride the bicycle. then when we were kids.

Do you still remember all the times when you fell off the skateboard (or roller blades) during your teens?

As age creeps up, it does not become easier, to bounce back from an injury? Especially, when you play sports professionally or just trying something new at a really “old age”.  

On this round of product review, I will compare a few products I personally used for knee support.  I am not a medical professional or certified in sports medicine. Everything here is based on my personal experience using these products.

Before, I start on the product review, there are a few things I like to share about knee injuries.
  1. Always listen to your body. Don’t try to push through the pain.
  2. A knee injury can be many things. A brace can’t help if you have scrapes, cuts or wounds as the braces has to apply gentle pressure. A serious injury, like a torn meniscus, torn ligament or dislocation or fracture is a serious thing and should warrant a visit to the orthopedic clinic.
  3. If your knee is swollen, a brace won’t help. In fact based on my personal experience, a brace makes it worse.
  4. Get professional help, especially if you feel pain for more 24 hours.
  5. Braces can sometimes restrict movements. This is not necessarily a good thing.
  6. Good blood flow is essential, ill fitting brace prevents good blood circulation.
  7. Elevate the injured knee and apply ice (something cold) to keep the swelling down, immediately after an injury.
  8. Knee swelling is not always noticeable. Sometimes there is no discoloration on the skin.
  9. I don’t wear any knee brace to sleep. I generally don’t think it is good for the knee. Mainly it prevents proper blood circulation.


El-cheapo Brand/ Ayam Brand
When I say el-cheapo brand (or locally known as ayam brand), I am just talking about a generic brand, which you can get for under $2. The brand I have is called Xiaole. You can also find the exact brace under different brand names.
It is made of woven fabric, with interlaced elastic rubber band.
It usually comes only in one color, blue.
It has very light pressure on the knee.
No specific sizing. Expands to your size over time, gradually.
It lasts about 3 to 4 weeks, until the rubber gives way and becomes kind of a “loose socks” for the knee.
Because it is so cheap, you can always buy a new one without breaking the bank.
Available at Japan Home stores, and budget stores.



Futuro Sport: Adjustable Knee Support
When I first saw this knee brace, it looked so cool, especially with the 3M brand logo and the picture of how it fits on the knee. It really looked like something that athletes and sportsmen would use.
It has Velcro, so it was easy to put on and take off. I like it especially when I can wear it over my trousers.
However, it restricts movement and that at times hurts the back of the knee.
The worst bit is it slides off the knee and requires frequent readjusting.
There is also warning on the box, that some people may develop rashes due to the neoprene material.
I didn’t have any rashes, though.
Priced at $40++
Available at most pharmacies including Guardian and Watson.






Oppo: Spiral Knee Support
Yes, Oppo is also the same brand as the mobile phones. I am not sure if they are affiliated but my money is on that “they are not”. At first, it was painful to use, however I realized knee was swollen.
The spiral metallic strips on both sides, provides comfortable support.
The material is made of woven fabric and highly elastic.
It gives more pressure on the knee, and it doesn’t slide off easily.
The longer length goes above and below the knee.
Of all the knee supports, I purchased, this was definitely my favorite.

It is priced at $35++ was only available at NUH Hospital pharmacy.


No comments:

Post a Comment