Friday 31 July 2015

Hong Kong Museum Pt4: Hong Kong Heritage Museum (HKHM)

In this fourth and final series of HK Museums, I would like to explore my second favourite museum, Hong Kong Heritage Museum (HKHM).
When I say second favourite I mean it is probably a close running to HKMA (Hong Kong Museum of Arts).

Introduction

I was only intending to spend only an hour at this museum, as I was rushing to get to Temple of a 10,000 Buddhas. Nevertheless, after almost 5 days of constant walking, my feet were begging me to take it slow. This was fortunately a good thing as the museum immediately caught my interest.

HKHM is located further up north and taking MTR to Che Kung Temple or Sha Tin Wai would be the easiest to reach the museum. Although Sha Tin Wai would mean a much further walk to the HKHM. However, it was Sunday, I thought a short stroll to see what folks do on Sunday would be interesting, much to my feet’s dismay.




Keep your GPS/ Glonass handy as weaving through malls and underground tunnels can easily get you off your bearings. This actually happened to me. I could see the museum right in front of me and yet it took me almost 30 minutes walking through a nearby park to get to the front gate of the museum.





Tickets are cheap (again). I love coming to this part of the world with its cheap museum tickets.



What made things even better, there was a special exhibition on Bruce Lee. There was everything from his early years in Hong Kong, his life in the USA, his movie life in USA and his movie life in Hong Kong.


The website for the museum

Visiting hours
Monday, Wednesday to Friday: 10am - 6pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 10am - 7pm
Christmas Eve and Chinese New Year's Eve: 10am - 5pm
Closed on Tuesdays (except public holidays) and the first two days of the Chinese New Year.

I was allowed to take photographs in all exhibits except for the special Bruce Lee exhibition.
These are some of the exhibits.








If you notice why some of the exhibits look very alike with Hong Kong Museum of History’s exhibits, well they do (have a second look http://hg2me.blogspot.sg/2015/04/hong-kong-adventure-hk-museum-of-history.html).

In a way this museum, feels like a summary of HK of History, a condensed version if you will. If you didn’t have enough time to visit the HK of History, then this would be a wonderful substitute.

I enjoyed my last night in Hong Kong with this museum. As the clock approached 5pm, I finished the final viewing of Bruce Lee’s Lifestory Documentary, headed down to the gift shop and treated to this beautiful night scenery of the park which got me lost me again on my way back to Che Kung MTR.
Hey, sometimes you have to get lost, to be found, right?



Should you visit here?

Absolutely, especially if you didn’t have time to visit the HK Museum of History and you are on the way to visit the Temple of 10,000 Buddhas. I probably do the visit on the way back from Temple of 10,000 Buddhas just to enjoy the park in the evening.





No comments:

Post a Comment