Friday 8 July 2016

Viet Nam: Hanoi Part 2

Introduction

In Part 2, I will cover some of the sites in Hanoi City.

My personal opinion the best way to get around Hanoi is not on foot by a two wheeler.
This is can be either by motorcycle or bicycle.

The distance between location to location is not far but walking can be tiring.
There is an option of taking a taxi but it isn't easy.

Viet Nam taxis are notorious for not using meters and when they do it is usually hacked, so cabbies charge you more for a shorter ride.

The worst ones are no meters at all and you have to bargain a price. It is usually higher than using the meter.

If all else fails, yes you guessed it, you can always walk.
All you need is tour guide map and good old GPS and 3G connection.

I probably 75% of Hanoi city tour on foot.
You get to see more of the city.

This map I have from the previous post is probably outdated but you can have look again on my previous post of Hanoi. Click the link below.

http://hg2me.blogspot.sg/2016/06/viet-nam-hanoi-part-1.html



Flag Tower and Lenin Statue

The Flag Tower is located inside of the War Museum.
I can't give much history except it was built during Nguyen Dynasty (1812) and was observation post, initially. My tour guide did not recommend to visit the War Museum.


However, he did point out the Lenin statue just opposite to the Flag Tower.



Foreign Ministry Building

On the corner of  Hoang Dieu (Flag Tower is located along this road) and Dien Bien Phu road, there is the Foreign Ministry building.



Not much to admire and I don't think they allow you to visit inside either.
The tour guide mentioned something about it being re-purposed by the government into Foreign Affairs Ministry building. You definitely can't miss it as it is probably the only big and yellow building on Dien Bien Phu road.




Ba Dien Square and Mausoleum of Ho Chin Minh



Next stop is Ba Dien Square. Most people would miss Ba Dien Square, mainly because it is just a wide open space.

They probably be taking pictures of Ho Chin Minh Mausoleum and never notice the square at all.









Ba Dien Square is not as large as Tienanmen Square (China) or as infamous, but this is the spot President Ho Chin Minh read the declaration of independence on September 2, 1945.


The building at the center of the square of is the Mausoleum of Ho Chin Minh.

If you are from CIS (Russia) and you think the mausoleum closely resembles Mausoleum of Lenin, well you are right. This mausoleum dedicated to President Ho was based on the Mausoleum of Lenin but incorporated the some Vietnamese style architecture.








Inside, the remains of Ho Chin Minh is preserved in an encased tomb of glass.

I did not have the opportunity to see the inside of the mausoleum but I understand there are strict rules including no cameras and very long queue to enter.

It opens daily from 9 to 11 AM. Entry is free.

If you have visited the inside, tell me your experience in the comment section below.




Ho Chin Minh Museum


Museums are easily my favor part when visiting any city.

I didn't do the War Museum earlier and unfortunately I have miss this one too, as the tour guide advised it would take too much time.

I guess have to keep it for next time.

In the mean time, if you are reading and have visited the museum before, please leave a comment below and let me know how was it.




Presidential Palace

Earlier in the blog, I said something about big yellow building, which was the Ministry of Foreign Affair retrofitted building. Just around the area of Ba Dien Square is the Presidential Palace of Ho Chin Minh. This building is also yellow in color.



I understand there is a small fee to pay (VND 30,000) for foreigners and free for local. Since this was part of the tour, I didn't pay anything for the entry.

I spent about 30 to 45 minutes here as most the exhibits are self explanatory.
The items on display are mostly things used by the late president.
Everything in the area is kept in immaculately and it has Zen garden like feel.
Here are some shots inside the grounds.






...to be continued in Hanoi Part 3.




No comments:

Post a Comment